Gluten Free Beer recipies??
PapaSmurf64
2004-12-14 15:35:26 UTC
I have done a google search, however, I was wondering if anyone here
had any recipies they would be willing to share that they have had
success with. I'm getting ready to attempt this for my wife's
girlfriend who has Ciliac's disease.

And yes, I know all about it not "really being beer" due to lack of
wheat or barley....but I gotta try it anyway.

Thanks a ton
PS64
Derric
2004-12-14 18:35:29 UTC
Post by PapaSmurf64
I have done a google search, however, I was wondering if anyone here
had any recipies they would be willing to share that they have had
success with. I'm getting ready to attempt this for my wife's
girlfriend who has Ciliac's disease.
Check out:
http://www.glutenfreebrewer.com/
and
http://www.bardsbeer.com/
for the little info that I've seen on it... it's a starting point.
Post by PapaSmurf64
And yes, I know all about it not "really being beer" due to lack of
wheat or barley....but I gotta try it anyway.
Sure it's beer!!!! Looking on www.dictionary.com at the various
definitions of beer, nowhere do they require it to have wheat or barley.
Just "malt" or "cereals" ... and you can make gluten free beer from
malted white sorghum (per those links), as well as other grains.

Derric
sosman
2004-12-14 20:43:56 UTC
Post by PapaSmurf64
I have done a google search, however, I was wondering if anyone here
had any recipies they would be willing to share that they have had
success with. I'm getting ready to attempt this for my wife's
girlfriend who has Ciliac's disease.
There is regular discussion on this topic down at oz.craftbrewer.org,
you might want to search the archives there.
--
brewiki: http://www.metrak.com/wiki/homebrew/
Brewsta: http://sourceforge.net/projects/brewsta/
danno

PS64
d***@yahoo.com
2004-12-15 05:02:16 UTC
You need to do a single cell yeast culture to avoid any gluten in the
yeast slurry to be 100% on this.
Dan Listermann
2004-12-15 14:36:06 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.com
You need to do a single cell yeast culture to avoid any gluten in the
yeast slurry to be 100% on this.
Dry yeast is gluten free as it is grown in a molassas solution.

Dan Listermann