Corny Keg rubber
Eric Scantlebury
2006-11-03 03:10:55 UTC
Hello All,

How the heck do you clean the corny keg rubber. I've washed and used soap
and a sponge, but once it dries it still looks dirty. What should I use to
get a real good clean?

TIA
Eric
William Benz Jr

Eric
Jeff
2006-11-03 12:31:45 UTC
Post by Eric Scantlebury
How the heck do you clean the corny keg rubber. I've washed and used soap
and a sponge, but once it dries it still looks dirty. What should I use to
get a real good clean?
Your talking about the rubber ends on the outside of the keg, right?
I'd try something petroleum based, like zippo lighter fluid, WD40 or
the like. It'll take a layer of the rubber off, but not much so long as
you wipe it off quickly. There are products out there that are used to
recondition rubber rollers on copiers, typewriters and printers that
would work very good, if you could get a hold of any of those. We used
Fedron a lot (though it's use is discouraged because it's not exactly
good for you). We also used liquid developer fluid, which is basically
kerosene. Of course, these things are flammable, so be careful with
them (I'd only do it outside).

Once clean, you could use some silicone spray (lube) to "polish" it

I've not bothered with this myself, so YMMV. I'd recommend trying it on
a spot on the underside first.

If you're talking about anything else on the keg, I agree with the
other guy - just buy a gasket kit.

--Jeff
Dan Logcher
2006-11-03 14:01:50 UTC
Post by Eric Scantlebury
How the heck do you clean the corny keg rubber. I've washed and used soap
and a sponge, but once it dries it still looks dirty. What should I use to
get a real good clean?
I use a spounge with a scotch brite side and scrub a little.. I also use this
on the outside of the keg to remove the adhesives and gunk. I don't think you
have to do much more than that. If its still not clean enough, you may need to
buy a NEW keg as opposed to used. For me, the inside of the keg is more important
than the outside for my 5 gallons.
Dan
Eric Scantlebury
Correct. I'll try some of these suggestions.
alebrewer
2006-11-03 14:07:17 UTC
Post by Eric Scantlebury
Hello All,
How the heck do you clean the corny keg rubber. I've washed and used soap
and a sponge, but once it dries it still looks dirty. What should I use to
get a real good clean?
TIA
Eric
Try Lemon Pledge. It works on most other things and is pretty safe and
is not very likely to degrade the rubber. Petroleum-based products
(lighter fluid, kerosene, etc...) are likely to cause problems with the
rubber compounds, particularly with long contact times.

ab
Mark R
2006-11-03 15:31:49 UTC
Post by alebrewer
Try Lemon Pledge. It works on most other things and is pretty safe and
is not very likely to degrade the rubber.
It has a bunch of different uses. I used to use pledge on my motorcycle to
keep the aluminum from corroding. The gulf coast salt air can be killer on
bikes.

Mark R
alebrewer
2006-11-03 15:38:36 UTC
Post by Mark R
Post by alebrewer
Try Lemon Pledge. It works on most other things and is pretty safe and
is not very likely to degrade the rubber.
It has a bunch of different uses. I used to use pledge on my motorcycle to
keep the aluminum from corroding. The gulf coast salt air can be killer on
bikes.
Mark R
Funny. That's why I suggested it. It works on my bike, too. I don't
worry too much about the salt air, though, being at least 50 miles in
from the coast.

ab
Mark R
2006-11-05 15:38:39 UTC
Post by alebrewer
Post by Mark R
Post by alebrewer
Try Lemon Pledge. It works on most other things and is pretty safe and
is not very likely to degrade the rubber.
It has a bunch of different uses. I used to use pledge on my motorcycle to
keep the aluminum from corroding. The gulf coast salt air can be killer on
bikes.
Mark R
Funny. That's why I suggested it. It works on my bike, too. I don't
worry too much about the salt air, though, being at least 50 miles in
from the coast.
I used to cruise and live on Galveston island. Washed once a week and
sprayed down with pledge and not a lick of corrosion in 4 years.

Mark R

John 'Shaggy' Kolesar
2006-11-03 15:32:21 UTC
Post by Eric Scantlebury
Hello All,
How the heck do you clean the corny keg rubber.
Are you talking about the black molded top and bottom parts on the keg?

I don't bother trying to clean them. You're probably not going to get a
used corny keg to look "brand new" again without a LOT of work. What's the
point though? The beer will taste just as good coming out of an ugly tank.

If you're talking about the rubber o-rings, then it'd probably be best to
replace them if they're that dirty. You can get a full set of them for
a few dollars.

John.
Eric Scantlebury
2006-11-03 17:17:02 UTC
Post by John 'Shaggy' Kolesar
Post by Eric Scantlebury
Hello All,
How the heck do you clean the corny keg rubber.
Are you talking about the black molded top and bottom parts on the keg?
I don't bother trying to clean them. You're probably not going to get a
used corny keg to look "brand new" again without a LOT of work. What's the
point though? The beer will taste just as good coming out of an ugly tank.
If you're talking about the rubber o-rings, then it'd probably be best to
replace them if they're that dirty. You can get a full set of them for
a few dollars.
Yes, The top and bottom. It's not that I want them to look new, but I want
them to be "clean". I have already replaced the O rings.
John 'Shaggy' Kolesar
2006-11-03 17:59:40 UTC
Post by Eric Scantlebury
Post by John 'Shaggy' Kolesar
Post by Eric Scantlebury
Hello All,
How the heck do you clean the corny keg rubber.
Are you talking about the black molded top and bottom parts on the keg?
I don't bother trying to clean them. You're probably not going to get a
used corny keg to look "brand new" again without a LOT of work. What's the
point though? The beer will taste just as good coming out of an ugly tank.
If you're talking about the rubber o-rings, then it'd probably be best to
replace them if they're that dirty. You can get a full set of them for
a few dollars.
Yes, The top and bottom. It's not that I want them to look new, but I want
them to be "clean". I have already replaced the O rings.
It shouldn't matter if they're clean. Some of mine are filthy (dirt, spider
webs, etc). The beer never touches those parts.

John.
Eric Scantlebury
John.
George
2006-11-03 19:24:07 UTC
Post by Eric Scantlebury
Ah, very well. But SWMBO took one look and wouldn't let them in the house.
So unless I can clean them up a little I guess I'll have to live in the
garage. LOL!
Just hose 'em off, scrub 'em down and rub on some Armor All. They'll
look good long enough to get 'em into the house.
George
Eric Scantlebury
2006-11-03 20:39:18 UTC
Post by Eric Scantlebury
Ah, very well. But SWMBO took one look and wouldn't let them in the
house. So unless I can clean them up a little I guess I'll have to live
in the garage. LOL!
Just hose 'em off, scrub 'em down and rub on some Armor All. They'll look
good long enough to get 'em into the house.
IF not I've conjured plan B. I figure if I give her some money and tell her
to go shopping I can just smuggle em in while she is gone. :-)
Artarius
2006-11-03 23:36:35 UTC
If you have oxidized rubber on your corny kegs Mothers Back to Black from
the auto section will fix that up with no problem. Just wipe it on. Next day
no more black hands...
Mike A.
2006-11-03 18:05:58 UTC
What should I use to get a real good clean?
If you have oxidized rubber on your corny kegs, black stuff comes off
on your hands. Mothers Back to Black from the auto section will clean
that. Armorall silicone spray works too.